Living with COVID-19

6 Apr 2020

Have you ever wondered what it's like to get COVID-19? Deena Lynch (otherwise known as Jaguar Jonze), knows first hand and she isn't afraid to share her story, hoping her story will help others to understand the virus a bit more as well as let others know they are not alone. Read her story below.

If you want to know more about Deena, you can follow her story in full via her Facebook https://www.facebook.com/jaguarjonze/.

March 20 (Day 1)

P.s I’ve been having a fever and showing symptoms so am going to get tested today. I will be going cold over the next few days as whatever it is, I’ll be doing some resting up to get well. Will update xx

March 24 (Day 5)

Hey everyone, I promised I’d update and I’m sorry it’s taken so long. I’ve been focused on recovering and I can’t remember the last time I felt this lethargic, to the point that I haven’t been able to do anything except be a potato. So I’ve also been relishing in potato life and learning to slow down. I’ve been dealing with a fluctuating fever but today I feel a lot better than the last 4 days. And today, I finally got my test results back and unfortunately, I’ve tested positive for COVID-19.

Tracking it back, they think I would’ve caught it on my journey back home from the US. The ironic thing is, I booked an early flight back from the US to be safe and at home in Australia. I wore a mask my entire flight and hand sanitised/ washed my hands at every given moment. This shows how easy it is to spread and shows the importance of self-isolation right now. It was extremely difficult for me to get a test despite having symptoms and coming from overseas because resources are low, which cements again the importance of social distancing. I could’ve easily been an unconfirmed case and I’m sure there are still many unconfirmed cases right now. We need to squash this virus and we need to do it in drastic ways to protect our society and the effect it’s going to have on the economy. I’m going back to potato life to recover but I’ll be in touch again while in quarantine. Please be social distancing, I promise once I feel better I will think of ways for us to feel connected in a disconnecting time.

March 25 (Day 6)

I shared my positive COVID-19 test results yesterday because I’ve always been passionate about breaking stigma, by putting a face and bringing awareness to a situation we can feel dissociated from. Thank you to everyone who has been kind enough to send me their speedy recovery wishes, I really appreciate it. To the insensitive questions, please reconsider before you send them. It can be easy to feel dissociated from the virus, and also easy to feel dissociated from me too, but I am a human and the last few weeks have taken their toll. I’m focused on doing my bit to help where I can, and recover at the same time. We’re all in this together and it can happen to anyone. I understand that we can feel panic in this pandemic but think twice before sending loaded, blame-shifting questions and messages. I might’ve been confirmed before you, but I could’ve just as easily gotten it from you. I followed everything by the book to protect myself and I still caught it. If you have symptoms, please monitor your health. If you don’t have symptoms, but are concerned, then THIS IS WHY PRACTICING SOCIAL DISTANCING IS IMPORTANT. I’ve had people say I’m brave for sharing and they haven’t told people about their own case because of the concern for how the public will treat them. There is no need for a COVID-19 stigma right now. Fear should translate to diligence rather than prejudice. Focus on protecting yourself and society.

March 29 (Day 10)

I’ve been receiving messages from people who were curious on the symptoms, so these were mine:

• Fever
  • Aches
  • Chills
  • Sore throat
  • Chesty cough
  • Diarrhoea
  • Headaches
  • Mild chest pains
  • Hectic fatigue

I am now at Day 10 and doing really well with only a chesty cough and fatigue as my remaining symptoms. I am a virtual hospital patient (which has been such a great initiative), which means I check in with a nurse over video conference twice a day and leave beds for those who are in a more dire situation. I am wearing a temperature tracker around the clock and also have a wireless vital signs reader which feeds data to the hospital. There are alerts set up for close monitoring. Really cool technology that I haven’t come across before. I keep this up until I have no COVID-19 symptoms for at least 3 days, then I can be discharged. Swipe right to see it more in detail. Otherwise, thank you to everyone for the kind wishes, I’m starting to feel a lot more myself. I’ve been working on something for you guys to pass the time so keep a close eye! #covid_19

April 2 (Day 14)

Talked with triple j about my experience with COVID-19. I hope this helps in some way to someone.

Read article