Kasundri explores the world of research

31 Aug 2020

Kasundri undertook the Winter Research Program on the topic "Developing online health information resources for adults on the autism spectrum" under supervisor Dr Katie Brooker - Mater Research Institute UQ. Kasundri shares her story.

I decided to undertake a winter research experience because I had an interest in clinical research and wanted to know if it was a good fit for me. I also thought it was a great opportunity to put the knowledge and skills I've gained as a third year science student at UQ and apply them to a scenario that would be beneficial in the real world.

I completed my project on developing online resources for adults with autism under the supervision of Dr Katie Brooker as part of the Queensland Centre for Intellectual and Developmental Disability (QCIDD) team lead by Professor David Harley at the Mater Research Institute. Personally, the experience consolidated my interest in medicine, clinical research and translational research, as the project allowed me a taste of all three fields. Academically, it gave me the opportunity to translate real-world research into language that was easy to understand to the public, which is important for creating tools for positive change. Additionally, it enhanced my CV and gives me something to enthusiastically talk about when applying for further research roles.

The most important part of the experience was being able to try out the world of research as an undergraduate science student. It has opened up a world of opportunities and interests that point me towards continuing to seek out research experiences in the future.

Lastly, some advice I have for future students who are thinking about applying for the Summer or Winter Research Program: go for it! It is an amazing opportunity that enhances your skill-set with tools and experiences that may carry you further in your career, and you won't regret it. Start looking for studies that you might be interested in, and don't hesitate to reach out to supervisors and make the first connection.

By Kasundri Kulasinghe

The application period for the 2020 Summer Research Program is open from 24 August to 27 September, 2020. 

Check your eligibility, explore projects and submit an application at the Summer and Winter Research website.