Nurturing Passion and Empowering Growth

21 July 2023

My name is Guifang, and I come from China. Prior to my enrollment at UQ, I wholeheartedly devoted myself to teaching English as a foreign language. Teaching, to me, is not just a profession; it is a calling that defines the essence of my existence. Witnessing the growth of students from diverse backgrounds and age groups, including my experience teaching children in an underdeveloped area for nine years, has brought immeasurable joy to my life.          

In my pursuit of professional development, I made the decision to enrol on the TESOL program at UQ. This choice has allowed me to delve deeper into the realm of pedagogical research and elevate my understanding to new heights. With utmost confidence, I can attest that the education I have received here at UQ is top-notch, and I am filled with gratitude and unyielding enthusiasm as I approach graduation. I am immensely grateful to all the dedicated teachers, tutors, and staff I have encountered on this campus, and there is one group of people whom I will always cherish: Learning Advisers.

My initial encounter with the Learning Adviser (LA) team occurred during Orientation Week in 2023, when I attended one of the academic skills workshops. I found this so helpful in understanding UQ academic culture, and since then, I have regularly sought guidance through in-person LA consultations. Working one-on-one with a Learning Adviser has been instrumental in teaching me how to discover my own voice in writing. Furthermore, they encouraged me to strengthen and articulate my viewpoints. Over time, the act of writing has transformed into a source of joy and fulfilment, just as they had foreseen.

"Embarking on a journey of personal and professional growth can be challenging, particularly when it has a profound significance in one’s life."

Sometimes it was not the magnitude of the obstacles but rather minor setbacks that could overwhelm me. There were times when I felt discouraged, but the LA guided me with patience, sincerity and strong support. They showed me that every difficulty presents a valuable opportunity for reflection and the cultivation of confidence. Instead of imparting knowledge, working with a LA fostered open conversations that empowered me to construct the solutions that I needed. Through their guidance, I have discovered the essence of courage, enabling me to confront and conquer challenges that once seemed insurmountable. I now understand that I am intricately connected to my surroundings, and each individual I encounter reflects a part of me, while I am projecting my identity onto the world.

As I reflect on my transformative journey at UQ, gratitude fills my heart, and a profound sense of purpose compels me forward. Equipped with the invaluable knowledge and capabilities I have gained, I am prepared to embrace my next chapter as a graduate of UQ. With the influence of the Learning Adviser that I worked with and the unwavering support of UQ, I am driven to make a meaningful impact in the field of education.

If you are looking to excel in your academic endeavors and maximize your learning potential, Learning Advisers are here to support and guide you throughout your study journey. 

Visit the Learning Adviser website to learn more about their services and schedule an appointment. Don't forget to check out a wide range of study skills workshops covering topics from referencing, time management to research and writing skills and more.

Enhance your learning journey and achieve your academic goals!